For the 2021 edition of the Encounters/Conference, to be held in the shadow of the pandemic, the main activities will be held in Prespa but in addition we will explore the possibilities that virtual international exchange can facilitate. To that end, we invite submissions along two tracks:
TRACK ONE: As a “Hub”: A hub is a partner based anywhere in the world who wishes to organize a set of local events or activities that align with the Prespa Encounters / Conference theme–but which respond to questions and conditions within their own site/network/region. Such activities, during the period of 4-11 July 2021, might include local walking experiences, performances, conversations and panels with some component of these events organized so they can be experienced long-distance by a conference participant in any location. Hub partners may be artistic or curatorial collectives, local networks or organizations or university programs. The encounters/conference provides access to a larger international network of walking practitioners and scholars as well as promotion for all activities, but the local hub bears the responsibility for organizing and resourcing the events. A hub application should include the following:
- Conceptual framework or theme that relates to the encounters/conference: What walking questions/practices are unique to your location/region? Is there a site-specific theme?
- Program: Duration, content, activities you propose, including panels, performances, walks etc. How will these be curated or solicited?
- Capacity: What resources or experience do you have in organizing such an event?
- Virtual/networked component: How will the works/events/presentations your hub realizes be made available to the Walking Encounters/Conference?
Finalists for hub partners will be scheduled for an interview with the organizers before the final confirmation and are asked to express their interest latest by 30 March 2021
TRACK TWO: As an individual proposal for papers and audiopapers, walkshops or other creative proposals. This may be submitted by an individual or small group in relationship to the Encounters / Conference theme. We seek a balance between Prespa-located and other projects considering questions that arise around mobility/immobility, including participants that are not able to travel.
The conference organizers are open to a range of formats as indicated above. The application should include the following (full details see below this page):
- Thematic connection: How does your project/paper take up the theme of walking as a question?
- Description of the project or an abstract of the paper
- Location: Is the project being proposed for Prespa? How can it be shared or experienced virtually in Prespa?
We encourage interactive, interdisciplinary and collaborative/participative/collective approaches.
Submission Deadline: 30st of April 2021
*The official language of the walkshops and conference is English, although hub activities may be organized in other languages.